Friday 11 January 2013

Malteser Cookies Recipe

As my friends and family all know me very well, I always get lots and lots of Maltesers for Christmas and birthdays.  This is obviously brilliant, but even I have a limit as to how many Maltesers I can eat (I don't actually, that's a total lie, but I did fancy a change).  I made a Malteser Refrigerator Cake a few months ago which went down really well and I wondered if I could make Malteser cookies by adding some bashed up Maltesers to a basic cookie mix.

A quick search on Google revealed that others had gone before me and that the general consensus was that Maltesers do very nicely when incorporated into cookie mix and baked in the oven.  I adapted a basic cookie recipe and came up with the recipe below which produced 28 of these beauties:










These are by far the best cookies I've ever baked.  They're not as chocolatey as others, and not quite as sweet.  I think the dry centres of the Maltesers really takes some of the richness away, although I did make them pretty small so maybe that's the real reason I was able to eat three in one sitting.

Here is my recipe for the tastiest, chewiest, maltiest cookies:

--------------------

Malteser Cookie Recipe

Makes 20 - 30 depending on size

  • 250g buttery-style margarine or softened butter
  • 150g demerara sugar
  • Half a teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 free-range egg, beaten
  • 220g plain flour
  • Quarter teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • Crushed Maltesers to taste (I used about 130g)
  • 50g milk or plain chocolate chips (optional)



Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6

  1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy and well combined.
  2. Beat in the vanilla extract and egg until well combined.
  3. Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix well until mixture is smooth.
  4. Add the crushed Maltesers and chocolate chips (if using) and stir well until evenly distributed throughout mixture.
  5. Spoon generous dollops of mixture onto a baking sheet, leaving plenty of space around each one for spread.
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown. Stand for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

--------------------

The cookies are amazing straight from the oven but will keep well for a few days in an airtight container.  Even my boyfriend, who generally doesn't have a sweet tooth, loved these cookies.  They're delicious and I will definitely be baking these again soon.

Enjoy!

Jenny
 x


4 comments:

  1. AH great recipe, the cat loved them as much as i did. thanks a bunch x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made them for my boyfriend and his brother, they're in the oven right now but the dough was already delicious !! Greatz from Belgium :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. really good! we even made a cookie cake :P but it was a little bit flaky and crumbly and should be called malteser shortbread

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wanna bake some

    ReplyDelete